Many companies today start with a phone interview when they want to get to know job candidates. Impressing a hiring manager in a phone interview is a key step towards moving forward in the hiring process, but standing out on the phone can be more difficult than making a big impression in person.
To ensure you make a great impression so the person who interviews you over the phone will be excited to bring you in for an in-person talk, consider these key tips:
- Have your documents in front of you: You may be asked questions about your work experience or about the resume and application you submitted. Have all of your paperwork accessible where you can reference it easily during the phone call.
- Learn about the company before you get on the call: It’s important you take this opportunity to show why the employer should hire you – which means you need to know what the company needs and how you can be of service. Learning about the company will give you the chance to tailor your resume to the position you’re hoping to be hired for. You’ll also show you’re serious enough about the job that you took the time to do your research.
- Rehearse the responses that you plan to give: Review common interview questions and plan great answers to those queries so you’re able to impress the interview with your knowledge. Preparing in advance will also make you less nervous, which also helps to make a better impression.
- Speak with the right tone: You want to talk slowly and clearly and annunciate your words so the interviewer can hear and understand you. You should also make sure you’re in a quiet place where you will not be interrupted.
- Ask for a face-to-face meeting at the end of the call: If you feel the phone interview went well, ask for an in-person interview at the end of the call. You’ll hopefully prompt the hiring manager to decide to bring you in so you can move on to the next phase in the hiring process.
IES Custom Staffing can help you land a phone interview with top companies who have open positions and who are looking for candidates with your skills and abilities. To find out more about how our staffing service can assist you with your job search, contact us today.