When you’re hiring warehouse workers, you want to find the right person for the job. It’s a waste of time and money to onboard someone and train them to your protocols, only to have them leave the job or not work out at the position.
It can be hard to find the perfect candidate during the interview process, but there are a few key questions you should consider asking that will give you much more insight into whether a candidate is a good fit or not. For example, you may want to ask job seekers:
- Questions about past experience: Ask the candidate to describe their experience with assembling merchandise, pricing, labeling or accomplishing the other tasks the warehouse worker will need to do. You should also find out what experience, if any, the candidate has with machinery and tools and whether the candidate is familiar with inventory management software.
- Questions about safety: Ask about precautions taken to avoid loss or theft of shipments. Ask practical questions about safe work operations as well, such as how the candidate would ensure boxes of different sizes and weights are stacked on a pallet so they are stable or how the candidate would lift a heavy box to avoid injury.
- Questions about work abilities: Ask the candidate how they have handled working in different weather conditions or stayed motivated in the past while doing repetitive work. These questions give insight into whether the job seeker is likely to be a good worker.
- Ask about ethics: What would the candidate do if they discovered a colleague was stealing, or if a co-worker asked for a tool but didn’t want to sign for it when the candidate was responsible for handling the tools.
- Ask about correcting issues: Find out if the candidate is good at fixing problems by asking them how a disagreement with a co-worker was resolved or a time when they had to correct a mistake.
IES Custom Staffing can also help you find your ideal candidate for open warehouse positions at your organization. Contact us today to learn more about how we can help you hire the right workers for your company.