The first day of work can be both exciting and nerve-wracking. You want to make a great first impression and get started off on the right track at your new job, which means you need to be prepared to make the right moves from day one.
To ensure that you set the stage for career success on your first day of work, consider these key dos and don’ts:
- Do make plans for your arrival. You should plan in advance when you’ll arrive, where to park, how to get to work, and who will handle your childcare. If you know exactly what the day will involve, there will be no surprises that cause you stress or that interfere with your ability to get to work on time and give your new job your full attention.
- Do take the time to listen during your first days on the job. During your first few days on the job, you may be tempted to try to show off all your knowledge. The reality is, however, that the most valuable thing you can do during the first couple days is to listen. You want to learn how the company does things before sharing your own way of doing things, and you want to take the opportunity to find out as much as you can about how the organization defines success so you can tailor your efforts to what the company is looking for.
- Do ask questions in advance. Don’t be afraid to find out in advance what you should wear, whether you should bring your own phone and electronic devices, what the companies social media policies are, and what other protocols you need to know.
- Don’t arrive late. Being late is guaranteed to make a very bad impression. It’s a good idea to come a little bit early so you don’t have any unforeseen delays that result in you being tardy to your first day on the job.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for assistance. You may want to come across as competent and confident, but you should not be afraid to ask questions and to get help when you need it. It’s better to learn how to do things right the first time than to assume you know what you’re doing and end up making mistakes.
- Don’t get too stressed. The company hired you for a reason – don’t let yourself get overtaken with worry so you make mistakes or can’t enjoy your first day on the job.
If you haven’t landed a job yet and you’re still looking forward to your first day of work, IES Custom Staffing is here to help you. We can work with you to find a job quickly so you can get excited about your first day on a new job. Give us a call today to find out how we can help you jump-start your job search.