If you want to protect your job, it’s important to become indispensable at work. If your employer feels you’re irreplaceable and invaluable, your job will be safe and you can even advance in your career.
If you’re not sure where to start when it comes to becoming indispensable, consider following these key tips:
- Help others without expecting much in return: An indispensable employee is always ready to step up to the plate and doesn’t keep score. While you don’t want to be taken advantage of, you should be willing to lend a hand to others when they need it without counting favors. Your employers will notice you’re always the one going the extra mile, and that will help your career to advance even if other co-workers don’t repay your efforts.
- Dedicate yourself to high standards: You don’t want to just do the minimum to get your job done. If you expect more from yourself and do the very best job possible every day, you should exceed your employer’s expectations and convince your manager you can be entrusted with more responsibility.
- Be open and adaptable: Most companies evolve and change over time, and you need to show you are ready to go with the flow. If employers can count on you to respond positively to change and do what’s necessary to get tasks done even if something unexpected happens, they’ll come to count on your levelheadedness and ability to roll with the punches.
- Be honest at all times: Employers need to be able to trust you if you’re ever going to become indispensable. This means being honest even if mistakes are made. Your boss will respect you far more if you tell it like it is than if you try to hide problems or pass blame on to others.
- Always do what you say you will: If you want your employer to entrust you with responsibility – which is a key part of becoming indispensable – your employer needs to know you can be counted on to perform as promised. If you make a commitment, do what it takes to fulfill it in all situations.
IES Custom Staffing can help you find work at a company where you can become indispensable using your talents and skills. To find out more about how our staffing service can help you to find a job where you’ll excel, contact us today.