Your resume can make or break your chances at landing an interview, so you need to make sure you show off your skills. It’s important your resume contains relevant information and is easy for a hiring manager to quickly review to determine if you’re a good fit.
To make sure your resume shows you in your best light and makes clear you’re the right candidate, consider these five key tips for listing professional skills on your resume:
- Include both hard skills and soft skills: Most employers want to hire someone who not only has the technical skills to do the job, but who also has other important soft skills like the ability to communicate clearly and work well on a team. List all of the essential skills you have so an employer can quickly see you’re the whole package.
- Stick to skills that are relevant to the current position: You don’t want your potential new employer to be forced to weed through a bunch of irrelevant information to see you have the specific skills they’re looking for. By giving too much unnecessary information about irrelevant jobs, you make it too hard for a hiring manager to see you’re the right candidate and you could end up with your resume getting tossed out.
- Organize your skills into different categories: Many hiring managers only skim resumes quickly to see if you have the essential skills. You want to make it as clear as possible you have what the employer is looking for, so organize your skills into easy-to-read categories. Your employer will appreciate the fact the organization makes it easy to get a big picture idea of all you can do.
- Use the right keywords to describe your skills: You want to make sure you use industry-specific keywords, especially if your resume will be in an online database employers can search electronically. It’s also helpful to mirror the language from the job ad back to the potential employer, making sure the skills the company is looking for are explicitly mentioned.
- Emphasize your most important skills by listing them several times: If you can describe your key skills multiple times under different jobs or in different resume sections, this gives you the chance to both emphasize those skills and ensure your resume is more likely to show up in online database searches.
Once you have a great resume, you want to make sure it gets in front of the right people who have open positions and who are looking for someone like you. IES Custom Staffing can help to make sure top companies in your area get a chance to see your resume and consider you for great jobs. Contact us today to find out more about how we can help you find work.