If your job is stressful and you feel anxious at work, this can affect your health and your job performance. You need to find a way to feel calmer and more in control at work, even if doing so can be a challenge.
Fortunately, there are proven techniques you can use to try to lessen the anxiety you feel so getting through the day will be easier. Some of the key steps you should consider taking include:
- Try some gentle stretching: Mental tension can cause physical tension including tight muscles, which can make it more likely you’ll be hurt. Learn some gentle stretching exercises to do on the job. Loosening up your body so you feel more physically relaxed can help to lessen the impact that anxiety has on your overall health.
- Communicate with your co-workers: Having people to talk with can help you feel more connected to your co-workers so you feel less alone in handling your work tasks. Your co-workers may also have some coping tips as well, or may be feeling overwhelmed like you, so they can become allies in your efforts to fight workplace anxiety.
- Drink water and stay hydrated: Staying hydrated can actually help you feel better, both physically and mentally. Make sure you are drinking enough water.
- Practice breathing exercises: Breathing exercises give you a chance to unwind, slow down and take a break from your worries. When you start to panic about something at your job, breathing exercises can also help you calm yourself, so you can get back in control of your emotions.
- Make a list: Having a list can help you prioritize and use your time more efficiently. By making lists of your work tasks, you can ensure the essential tasks are completed and nothing falls through the cracks. Seeing in black and white what you need to accomplish may also relieve your fears that you won’t be able to get it all done.
If your job is inherently too stressful for you, it may be time to look for a position where you are a better fit. IES Custom Staffing can help you find a job you will be good at so you can enjoy your days at work. To find out more about how our staffing service can help you find a job you’ll love, contact us today.