Improving your career is always an important goal. At the start of a new year, it’s a good idea to take stock of where you are and come up with a plan to achieve greater professional success in the future.
How can you do that? If you’re not sure where to start when it comes to setting your career goals for 2019, try these tips:
- Identify what you actually want. Far too many people focus on the things they don’t want in their jobs, such as working late hours. Instead of thinking about what you don’t want in your profession, consider what your ideal career will be. By envisioning what you want your work to entail, you can set goals that get you closer to creating your dream work environment.
- Be specific in the goals you set. The more specific you are about setting forth your career objectives, the more likely it is you’ll be able to achieve them. If you want a raise, for example, your goal wouldn’t just be to earn more money. It may be to boost your current salary by 5 percent by the end of the year. By being specific, it’s easier to measure your progress and to stay motivated.
- Make a detailed plan. Once you know what you’re trying to achieve, set forth a plan to achieve it. You should identify detailed steps you’ll take over the course of the year to advance your career to meet your objectives.
- Take daily action. It can be hard to get yourself motivated to tackle big changes. So, set small goals for yourself to do each day. These goals may involve making new connections with people in your industry on one day, and updating your resume on another – but do something small each day to help you achieve your objectives.
- Take stock of your progress. You should schedule regular reviews to see if you’re being effective at working towards achieving your goals.
If you want to take your career to the next level in 2019, IES Custom Staffing can help. We can work with you to find a great job that will help you advance in your profession and achieve greater success. To find out more about how we can help you, give us a call today.