You want to be appreciated at work, and you want your boss to value you. When you’re a valuable employee, you’re less likely to be let go and more likely to be promoted so you can take your career to the next level.
Of course, figuring out how to become a valuable employee can be a little harder. The good news is, these five tips can help you become indispensable to your boss at work so you’ll have much more job security:
- Show integrity. If your employer trusts you, they will value you and give you more responsibility. The more responsibility you take on because of this trust, the more indispensable you’ll become. It takes just a second to shatter carefully built trust, so never put yourself in a position where your employer has reason to doubt you. Instead, show integrity in all things to ensure your employer has complete faith in you.
- Be a team player. Teamwork is one of the most in-demand traits of employees. If you show you can work well with anyone, your employer will feel confident assigning you to different projects with different people. Your co-workers will also come to like you, and the work you do as part of the team will help you advance.
- Take initiative. If you’re able to expand your responsibilities, your boss will count on you more and you’ll be more appreciated at work.
- Think ahead. Employers like people who can plan in advance and spot problems down the road that may need to be solved. By being forward-thinking, you can show your boss you’re focused on the good of the company and you’re a problem solver who is prepared and ready to help make the business stronger.
- Take responsibility. Your boss will value you much more, and trust you more, if you show you can own up to mistakes and get them corrected. Don’t try to pass the buck or make excuses, but instead step in when an issue arises and find a solution.
IES Custom Staffing can help you find a job where your employer will value your contributions. Contact our staffing service today to learn more about the assistance we can offer in helping you find a job where you’re most likely to succeed.