If you can help your employees feel like work is home, you’ve won big if you believe in the axiom, “Home is where the heart is.” You want your employees to feel comfortable on the job because they spend so much time there. Feeling a sense of belonging on the job is what everyone wants. How can you make your employees feel that way?
Meeting Your Employee’s Needs, So They Feel at Home
In his book Empathetic Marketing, Mark Ingwer says there are six core needs that you must meet to help employees feel at home when they’re at work. They include:
- Control over their environment. This requires employers to empower their workforce to make decisions and work autonomously instead of micromanaging them. This will build self-confidence that ultimately helps your workforce feel comfortable in their surroundings.
- Self-expression, or the ability to be themselves. Confident employers know that the personalities and individualism of their workforce make for more creativity and innovation. You can require employees to perform tasks uniformly, certainly, to provide a more consistent experience for your customers. But individual expressions of personality are part of what makes people individuals. As an employer, you should create a space where employees have the freedom to be themselves.
- The ability to grow as people is very important to employee retention. Money is always a motivator. However, the ability to advance in their careers always makes employees feel like the job is a good one for them. We know that how often you promote people will help them feel like staying longer with your company. Good managers can take advantage of this trend to help retain their workforce.
- Offer regular recognition. Even the most self-effacing employees like praise. Humans are just built that way. By recognizing accomplishments regularly, you help employees feel a sense of pride in their work. This recognition can help drive productivity in your organization and lead to a happier workforce that feels more at home.
- Giving employees a sense of belonging at work is particularly important as so many people are now working from home. Employers need to make extra effort to share with their workforce ways to connect. Managers must find opportunities to bring together a workforce that may feel increasingly disconnected due to remote roles. This will help workers feel more a part of your team.
- Show your employees you care about them. Employees will feel more at home in your workplace if you genuinely show caring about them as people. Have compassion over their circumstances when they’re facing childcare challenges. Allow more flex-time to help employees deal with life’s crises. Offer rewards that show how much you care about their wellbeing and appreciate their work.
Creating a work environment where your employees feel like they belong is critically important to the success of your business.
IES Custom Staffing helps employers create better teams. We can help your business meet its hiring goals. Contact us today.